Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So, I know that you can be overwhelmed and that you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?


So, about the title of this blog entry, I know that you cannot ever be whelmed. I wonder what it would feel like if you could? Think about it...

On Sunday, the 13th, I left Louisiana to fly to Mexico. Our flight left at 6 am. First, we flew to Atlanta where Erika and I just barely made our flight. We waited only five minutes before boarding. God protected us from missing our flight! We landed in Mexico City at 11:15 am. Once we landed, we had to go through customs and then we were on a journey to find food!
We found some at Carls Jr., I think that is what it is called, in the airport. After we ate, we wandered around until we found the bus station and purchased our tickets to Cuernavaca. The bus ride was about an hour long. It was a pretty nice bus ride. We were offered free drinks and snacks on the bus. I had a manzana lift, which is my new favorite drink. It is like a fizzy apple juice! I actually fell asleep on the bus ride because I was so tired from the day of travel. I am a new traveler. I haven't been many places and this was only my second time flying.

Once we arrived in Cuernavaca, our host family picked us up from the bus station and brought us to our new home.
Sunday evening/night was very laid-back. Erika and I ate lunch with our host family (Carlos and Selene) and spent most of our time in our room resting.

Monday was my first day of language school. After about 15 minutes with my teacher I was overwhelmed! I don't think it was possible for me to mentally prepare for language school. It is the hardest thing that I've done in my life, so far. It is the first time that I feel like a foreigner. Not only am I having to learn a new language, but I am having to learn a new culture and a new city. It is definitely a humbling experience. Mr. Frank says that learning a new language tears you down. It is very true. I have to start from the very beginning and learn how to pronounce words, learn vocabulary, and structure my sentences. Spanish is so different from English, but once I learn how to speak it, I have a feeling I will like it more than English! So, to sum up my first day of language school, we will use the word overwhelmed.

Tuesday was a really good day. I felt like I was grasping things better and I actually had a small conversation with my teacher (Lily) about my family. I felt like I actually accomplished something! In the afternoon Estella (my afternoon teacher) and I went to el centro (downtown) to explore. El centro aqui (Downtown here) reminds me of downtown in a big city. It is very busy and full of little shops, restaurants, parks, and big buildings! To get downtown, Estella and I took a bus. Wednesday, today, I had a rough morning. I was having such a hard time pronouncing words and it was really frustrating. I even cried a little. I am finally allowing myself to be vulnerable and be frustrated for a moment and then move on. After I cried, I felt a little better and was better able to concentrate in class. The rest of my day was really good. I feel like I know my vocabulary words a lot better. I am still having a hard to with giving directions, or telling you where things are, so if you don't know where things are, don't ask me this week! Maybe I'll be better next week! I am also learning that I am not a very descriptive person, something to work on.

All in all my experience in language school has been great. I am no longer overwhelmed, nor am I underwhelmed. I think I am just whelmed! :)

"I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ's sake. For when I am week, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10

Adios!

1 comment: