Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What is it about the rain?


As I am sitting in my room in Cuernavaca, I can smell the refreshing scent of rainfall. Now in Cuernavaca, is the dry season, meaning it is not supposed to rain. How is it that rain finds me when it is not supposed to; don’t get me wrong, it’s completely refreshing! I almost feel as if the Holy Spirit is providing the rain to quench the thirst of my dry soul. My time in Cuernavaca is coming to an end, and my heart rejoices because I am excited about the adventure to come. Erika and I bought our bus tickets to General Cepeda today and will be leaving this Friday. I am excited to be returning to the place the Lord first called me to missions. I also think it totally appropriate that it would rain right before I leave this place. It reminds me all the more of last summer in General.


The last few days I’ve been reflecting on the places I’ve been, where I am now, and where I am going. I’ve realized that a year ago today, I was in college studying pre-physical therapy, working hard at Starbucks, and very active in a Baptist church in Pensacola. It is crazy for me to think that in only one year my life can be turned upside down for the better. At this time last year, I was anticipating a summer without work, and possibly visiting family in Louisiana. It’s funny to me that the Lord leads me to the places that He wants me, but always has a different plan than mine. (His are always better!) During my time visiting family in Louisiana last summer, my cousin Brooke offered me the opportunity to go on a Mission trip. After some time in prayer, I felt peace about going on this mission. Little did I know that that yes would lead to an even bigger yes in the weeks to come. It was there on that mission that the Lord broke the chains of fear that had ruled my life, renewed and set my heart on fire for Him and His people, and gave me more freedom than I thought possible to experience. On that mission, I truly became alive.


Once experiencing such a high in the Lord, it is hard to imagine life any other way. Since September 15th, I’ve experienced some serious highs in the Lord and some serious lows. Both times have been crucial to get me where I am today, here in Cuernavaca. Since my training ended in December, I have been anticipating getting onto the mission field. I spent way too much time wishing time away without realizing that my mission field is where I am presently. Being in Cuernavaca has shown me the importance of having my eyes opened to the mission the Lord has for me, even if it is something as small as smiling at greeting the people I pass in the streets, which I do everyday.


Upon arriving Cuernavaca, I didn't have much hope of a mission after language school because of the disturbances in General Cepeda. I know now that when we have difficulties or things that are getting in the way of our mission, it means that we are really needed in that place and that the enemy is trying everything in his power to keep us out. I am confident now that General Cepeda is the place the Lord is leading me and in His timing. Things are, of course, always better in His timing. By the way, did I mention that I am excited to be returning to General Cepeda??? :)


I know that this post is short and sweet, but maybe next week I will have a longer post when I reflect on my traveling journey to General, but I want to leave you with this:


"Run your best in the race of faith, and win eternal life for yourself; for it was to this life that God called you when you firmly professed your faith before many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12


Keep your head high, your eyes focused on Christ, and let your faith shine brightly! You are all in my prayers! God Bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment